Back to the very beginning… a very fine place to start.
Let’s stat up a level 1 team of Resolute The Splintered Realm (Legacy Version) heroes and see what happens to them.
Vax the Thief, Forge Gnome (10 CPs)
Burglary +2; Evade +3 (+2/+1 racial shift); Intuition +1; Prowess +2; Stealth +1; Weapon +2 (bow or short sword)
Grom the Fighter, Chosen Human (10 CPs)
Armor +2; Might +3; Resolve +1 (racial shift); Weapon +3 (Sword)
Kala the Wizard, Moon Elf (10 CPs)
Arcane Bolt +3; Evade +1; Reason +4 (+3/+1 racial shift); Resolve +1
Bri the Cleric, Chosen Human (10 CPs)
Armor +2; Aura of Invulnerability +2; Healing +2; Prowess +2; Resolve +1 (racial shift); Weapon +2 (mace)
For fun, let’s put them up against a Gnoll Ravager and let the hilarity ensue…
Ravager (20 CPs)
Armor +2 (ring armor); Evade +2; Intuition +3; Might +3; Prowess +2; Weapon (spear) +3
7’ tall brutish hyena-headed war-mongers, gnolls travel in organized war bands, bringing chaos and conflict with them, and leaving suffering in their wake.
- Bri will begin. She activates her aura of invulnerability.
- Vax moves into the shadows, activating his stealth and taking +1 to his attack.
- Kala throws an arcane bolt at the gnoll, rolling 2+3=5 vs. his evade of 2+2=4. She hits by +1; for damage, she rolls 9+4+1=14 wounds, and the gnoll soaks 1 (bad roll) +2=3 wounds; he suffers 11 wounds and is down to 9.
- Grom runs up and attempts to clock the gnoll with his sword; he rolls 3+3=6, and the gnoll rolls 8+2=10 to evade; Grom misses.
- The Gnoll will focus on the fighter first; he rolls a natural 1 and botches.
- Bri now takes out her mace, swinging at the gnoll and getting 9+2=11 to hit; the gnoll rolls 10+2=12 to evade; Bri uses her resolve point to add +2 to her attack, increasing it to 13; she now hits by +1. For damage, she rolls 11+2=13 wounds. The gnoll rolls 3+2=5 to soak, suffering 8 wounds, and leaving it at 1 wound.
- Vax leaps from the shadows, stacking his stealth to the attack. He rolls 10+1+2=13 to hit, and the gnoll rolls 11 (cut in half to 6) +2=8 to evade; Vax hits by +5; for damage, Vax rolls 6+2+5=13 wounds, and the gnoll soaks 9+2=11 of these. It suffers 2 wounds, and is at -1 wounds.
- Grom swings his sword again, getting 2+3=5 to hit, and the gnoll rolls 10+2=12 to evade. Grumble grumble grump grump. - - Grom uses his resolve point to trump a turn here and take another shot, rolling 5+3=8 to hit, and the gnoll rolls 8+2=10 to evade. He can’t get a break. If only he had some luck… or a hex he could use… that’s it. He uses a fate point. He gets to take an automatic 12 on his roll, ending up with 12+3=15 to hit. The gnoll rolls to evade, getting 8+2=10; Grom hits by +5. For damage, he rolls 11+3+5=19 wounds, and the gnoll rolls 2+2=4 to soak, suffering 15 wounds! Ack. It’s now at -16 wounds.
- On its turn, the gnoll cannot possibly make its roll to stay conscious, so it falls to the ground.